Uncommon Company Doing Uncommon Things

9:00 AM

Have you ever looked around your home and just thought...uuuggghh. As I sit on my couch watching my daughter explore her busy box I look around my living room/homeschool room. *sigh* There is no longer delicate pretty decorations. No bright colored throw pillows to add a color of pop. No evidence of my spunky colorful style that once gave my home a bright feeling. Now my home is overtaken by the kids' learning toys, books crafts, and messes. My furniture is in dull neutral colors that are in kid friendly materials to hide stains of this mornings spilt food. *sign* depressing! I need to find something to help lift my spirits I mean after all this is my home too!..Right?

After some time scouring the interweb I found a site called uncommongoods. After doing some research I found that their headquarters is in New York, which is a plus for me for quicker shipping as I am in New York also. I love that uncommongoods features items that are handcrafted using sustainable or recycled materials. How awesome is that! They also share information about the item such as inspiration, materials used to make it AND the creator. WOW! So I went gandering around the site and found a few cute items we will soon be enjoying in our home.
Ok so I know I said I was looking for stuff to liven up my living space...but as a homeschooling mom I could not pass this up. What a great kit to get my kids involved in growing some bee friendly plants. Plus what kid doesn't like to get dirty? The Seed Ball Kit includes; compost, clay, and GMO free seeds. There is enough supply to make upto 75 Seed Balls! The really neat part is you can literally toss the Seed Balls where ever you want to and watch them burst with new life. My kids are going to L-O-V-E watching the seedlings pop out of these Seed Balls.
One word is all it takes to describe this Owl Eyeglasses Holder...ADORABLE!!!! I truly love this wooden little bird. Now I have to tell ya I was impressed with the craftsmanship alone however once I got reading about how it is created I am completely in love with this sweet little bird and the uncommongoods company. This uniquely beautiful owl is hand carved by Fair Trade Artisans in India from a single piece of sheesham wood. The uncommongoods company has made a partnership to donate money back to not only the artisans but to the community as a partnership to improve their sanitary conditions and education. Can you just feel your heart growing fonder of this company? Did I mention that the seasonal workers in New York receive 50% more than the average wage? I that that was pretty cool but they are doing so much more to help others than those immediately in their area. Amazing company! Can you tell that I am very impressed yet? Wink Wink.
I had to keep looking at the site for something that my kids would enjoy while bringing color and interest to our room. I found this cute Array of Actual Sized Animal Tracks Doormat. Hello adorable, functionable and bright. Bonus...it's educational too, see the key to decode the footprint owners. This doormat is woven from Coir (coconut fibers) and the animal prints are printed with vegetable based ink. Amazing right! My husband being a wild animal enthusiast thinks this is a great addition to our decor and when my kids saw this, they went crazy. They are excited to use this doormat as a "guiet rug" during scripture reading time. Major win!

I have to say I really enjoyed looking at the Uncommongoods website. There are a lot of beautiful works of art with amazing stories behind them. So much love and compassion on one site that I never thought to find at first glimpse. It just goes to show you that there is always more to see than first glance. I urge you my dear readers to take a glimpse around Uncommongoods if not to buy amazing items at least to read the amazing behind the picture stories. You will definitely find a new respect for the artists featured on the website.
themumprojectPetite PuddingDear Bear and BeanyDiary of an imperfect mumTwo Tiny HandsPink Pear BearFamily Friday Link-Up PartyMummascribblesThis Is How We Roll Thursday PartyKeep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday3 Little ButtonsYou Baby Me Mummy

You Might Also Like

0 comments